About

Our History

Johnstown (Baile Eoin)

Johnstown is a village in County KildareIreland. It is located 2 km north of Naas just off the N7 at junction 8. It is approximately 25 km from Dublin City Centre, and is a home for commuters working in Dublin and Naas. Most of the housing was built after 1990. This consists of the Main Street & Village area, Johnstown Gardens, St. Johns Grove, Johnstown Manor and Furness Wood.

The main street was a part of the old main road southwest from Dublin towards Cork and Limerick, and the village was a hamlet in 1970. The Johnstown Inn was a busy coaching stop until the 19th century, and outside it the Cork mail coach was stopped and burned at the start of the 1798 rebellion. It had a post office that closed in the 1920s, and still has the ruins of the medieval St John’s church that became a ruin after 1500. The church is famous for the grave of the earl of Mayo, the viceroy who was killed in India in 1872.

The main road eventually bypassed Johnstown in 1964 when the Naas Dual Carriageway was finished. This was enlarged into the 6-lane N7 road from Dublin to Johnstown that runs towards Limerick.

There are many local business within Johnstown. The Johnstown Inn, Jordans Centra, Victoria Garden Restaurant, Jack & Jill Charity HQ, Cathys Communion Dresses, Johnstown Family Practice, Enquiring Minds Creche, Johnstown Stage School, Morgan Richards Hair & Beauty, Crookes Nutrition & Fitness, Tailored Equestrian, Discount Tiles and Johnstown Garden Centre amongst others.

This is a kind community to be a part of, with annual family days and Christmas gatherings, and also a keen Tidy Towns Committee.

Blank Text

Create your website at WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this: